Today is the day of revelations. I found out that “ldd” is actually a script instead of a binary. Figured it out while finding an equivalent cross-compiled version of it and failed. While finding out what is the package which ships the ldd script, I got to know a command (which only works on fedora/red-had i suppose).
# rpm -qf /usr/bin/ldd
That was cool. Then went about reading the man page for “ldd” and got to know an alternative to ldd which is much safer (as mentioned in manual itself) which is to run objdump. Here is the alternative command:
objdump -p | grep NEEDED
This works quite well with a toolchain for ARM to identify the libraries linked to a binary. Nice!